December 18, 2010

Christmas Shopping and Baking

Isn't it wonderful getting a day off? I know it's Saturday but I have nothing on the calendar today!  Maybe I should check the calendar again? I'm starting to doubt myself?  The kids and Rick were meant to be camping this week but the weather is very wet and even stormy.  It's not that they aren't tough - they just aren't interested in buying boots and a raincoat and sitting in a tent with a book.  The comforts of home are so much more appealing.  There goes my quiet weekend! Just kidding.  I went to StampClub last night and made these two projects. One is a box which will have fudge in it; It's cooling in the fridge.  The other is a pseudo card; more like a gift card.
The card on the left is from my sister, Susan.


We went to the mall today.  I objected strongly because it's the last Saturday before Christmas and NOT the day to go to any mall.  When we arrived, I remembered that this is Auckland, NZ, not Vancouver, Canada. The mall was busier than usual but not even close to Vancouver busy.  I was out of the mall by about 1:45 with groceries and a few treats to be wrapped and stored under the tree.  I'm not very good at buying gifts. I'm better at making gifts when I have the time.  I have lots of gifts to make before Christmas so I better pick up my knitting and keep at it so I finish those socks for my dad, and the quilt for an undisclosed little person.


 

I have just made some beautiful muesli for Christmas morning and some scrumptious Bailey's fudge for gifts. Thank you, Anna, for the recipe from Sophie Gray, the Destitute Gourmet. Yummm!





 Sophie Gray's fudge:
2 - 250g Whittaker's chocolate bars (33% Chocolate)
1 Tbsp butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 Tbsp of liqueur (I used Baileys)
toasted hazelnuts
Melt, mix, and cool.  (That's my short hand)

No comments: