March 13, 2011

Christchurch, NZ

I wanted to write something about Christchurch but I have only visited once. It was a short visit of two days in November 2010 right between the two earthquakes.  We walked around the city, in Hegley Park, and even in the cathedral.  It was a beautiful place with a lot of stories, statues, gold, and stained glass.  I'm so glad that we went when we did; it was such a beautiful place. I'm at a loss for what to say. The devastation in NZ's second largest city is enormous.  Reports tell us that thousands of people have left the city and even the country for good.  It seems that many still have no power or water in their homes and their jobs will be impossible to return to.  It's amazing that I went there when I did.  At the time, my husband and I were making the most of a week without the teenagers. We hadn't been to the South Island together and we especially wanted to go to Christchurch. I took some photos.  Enjoy!

No comments: